Saturday, January 10, 2009

Eavesdropping...

I was eating my "lunch" today at Panera (I say "lunch" because it was, in actuality, 10am, therefor really being more of a breakfast/brunch meal) when I began listening to a conversation between two customers at the table right next to me. I don't normally eavesdrop, but the topic of discussion interested me, and I KNOW they knew I could hear them.
Anyway.
Several Bible study groups meet there on Saturday mornings, and these two men were discussing Exodus. Specifically the final plague in which God kills all the Egyptian firstborns. They began talking about sacrifice- something about how this was the first mention of sacrifice, which is totally not true...I really struggle with this part of the Hebrew Bible, and it was all I could do to not jump into their conversation with my own views. The part that REALLY got me was when they began discussing the blood on the lintels and doorposts. "It's the first symbol of the cross!" Sacrifice, "cross"like markings, all this leading to Christ....
There is a difference!
Why do people feel the need to link every possible- thing!- in the Bible to the crucifixion and/or Christ!? The Exodus out of Egypt happened thousands of years before Christ, the story was recorded for a completely different audience, even the portrayal of God is different. Why can't we see these books in a way that they were intended- try to understand them contextually?
Personally, I see no connection between the slaughter of (some) innocents and the personal sacrifice that Jesus chose to accept. The key word is "chose". The Egyptians had no choice- they were under Pharaoh's rule, he called all the shots. They had no way of knowing what was coming, of the suffering that would occur. Jesus knew what was going to happen; he knew and accepted it, had time to struggle with and come to terms with it. The two incidences cannot be compared to each other.
And if we begin thinking every horizontal and vertical line that intersects suggests the crucifixion...
I don't want to seem close-minded, I really do try to be open-minded and to accept what people believe. And I know that, in the upcoming years, I will need to be even more welcoming of other's opinions and beliefs. I don't know why this conversation riled me up.
Guess it all goes to show-
you shouldn't listen in on other people's conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment