Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Seminary Assignment complete!

SO, I just finished my first assignment. YIPPEE!
I am being a church music geek and taking a wonderful class about hymnology. I am so excited!!! : )
Our first assignment was to describe our first experience with hymns, what are our favorite hymns are, and what our denominational background is.
Since it's info about me, I thought I would duplicate it here. (Plus, I haven't posted in a while, and I thought, hey, why not kill two birds with one stone. You might learn something about me).

I was born and raised in a United Methodist Church in Parkville, MD. I always loved singing hymns, and admit I would often flip through the hymnal reading the hymn texts rather than listen to the sermon. Music is one of my stronger talents, so I was very active in the choirs at church since I was young.
During my sophomore year of undergrad I became the organist and choir director at a small rural church, where I once again fell in love with hymns and the rich theology they offer. I also came to greatly dislike most praise and worship music, for both the tunes and text. At first, I considered The Faith We Sing to be the bane of my existence (I did not like the way the hymns were used or selected in worship) but after delving deeper into it I have come to love it. I especially like the hymns that tell stories, such as Two Fishermen and Swiftly Pass the Clouds of Glory. I always enjoy finding a familiar tune set with new text.
Some of my favorite hymns are "Be Thou My Vision" (there are some wonderful choral arrangements out there, or, I have found you can get a very different feel if you simply change a few chords or where the stress of the beat is placed). I once heard this hymn described as a love song to God, and that has always stuck with me.
"Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" is a new favorite, after I learned the difference of white and black Gospel. I find it to be much more uplifting and joyful when stress is placed on the upbeat.
My all time favorite hymn is "When in Our Music God is Glorified" (UMH 68). The text is rich, and the tune beautiful. I always find myself tearing up on the last phrase, "And may God give us faith to sing always Alleluia!"
I am so glad to have found this class. Having majored in church music in undergraduate, I hope this will offer a sense of familiarity that I may not find in other classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment